Jul 19, 2024  
2018-19 CATALOG 

Fees and Financial Aid



The CSU makes every effort to keep student costs to a minimum. Tuition and fees listed in published schedules or student accounts may need to be increased when public funding is inadequate. Therefore, CSU reserves the right, even after initial payments are made, to increase or modify any listed tuition or fees. All listed fees, other than mandatory systemwide tuition, are subject to change without notice, until the date when instruction for a particular semester has begun. All CSU-listed tuition and fees should be regarded as estimates that are subject to change upon approval by the Board of Trustees, the Chancellor, or the Presidents, as appropriate. Changes in mandatory systemwide tuition will be made in accordance with the requirements of the Working Families Student Fee Transparency and Accountability Act (Sections 66028 – 66028.6 of the Education Code).

The following reflects applicable systemwide tuition and fees for semester campuses. These rates are subject to change.

2018/19 Basic Tuition - Per Semester

  0.0-6.0 units 6.1+ units
Tuition Fee (Undergraduate) $1,665.00 $2,871.00
Tuition Fee (Credential) $1,932.00 $3,330.00
Tuition Fee (Graduate) $2,082.00 $3,588.00
Health Facility Fee $20.00 $20.00
Associated Students Fee $75.00 $75.00
Instructional Related Activity (IRA) Fee $5.00 $5.00

Recreation Fee
(Clark FH Operations $12.00, 
ASI Campus Recreation $12.00, 
Track & Lower Recreation Field Maintenance $11.00)

$35.00 $35.00
Student Union Fee $315.00 $315.00
Student Health Services Fee $75.00 $75.00
Mental Health Fee $86.00 $86.00
Academic Records Fee $12.00 $12.00
Athletics Fee $100.00 $100.00
Childcare Services $10.00 $10.00
Academic Excellence and Student Success Fee $250.00 $250.00
Total for Undergraduate $2,645.00 $3,851.00
Total for Credential $2,912.00 $4,310.00
Total for Graduate $3,062.00 $4,568.00


2017/18 Graduate Business Professional Fee

$270 per unit in addition to mandatory fees and non-resident fees (if applicable).

The Graduate Business Professional Fee is paid on a per unit basis in addition to the mandatory tuition and campus fees for the following graduate business program: Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.).

Nonresident Students (U.S. and Foreign)

Nonresident Tuition (in addition to basic tuition and systemwide fees charged to all students) for all campuses: $396 per unit.

The total nonresident tuition paid per term will be determined by the number of units taken.

Mandatory systemwide tuition is waived for those individuals who qualify for such exemption under the provisions of the California Education Code (see section on fee waivers).

Students are charged campus fees in addition to tuition and systemwide fees. Information on campus fees can be found by contacting the individual campus(es). 


Credit Cards

Pay online using American Express, MasterCard, Discover, or VISA. A 2.75% convenience fee will be applied.


Electronic checks have no convenience fee.


User Fees

Academic Technology Services Equipment Fee (See equipment checkout fee schedule) Varies
Administrative Late Fee (Failure to meet administratively required appointment or time limit fee) $15.00
Alumni Placement Fee $25.00
Application Fee for CSU Admission (nonrefundable) $55.00
Bicycle Storage Fee- Per semester $15.00
BIOL 104   $20.00
BIOL 210 , BIOL 211   $25.00
BIOL 160 , BIOL 175 , BIOL 176 , BIOL 177 , BIOL 178 , BIOL 351 , BIOL 352 , BIOL 353 , BIOL 354 , BIOL 367  - Miscellaneous Course Fees (each) $45.00
Biotechnology Course Fee: BIOT 355 , BIOT 356  (each) $45.00
Chemistry Lab Breakage Fee - Cost of broken lab equipment Varies
Chemistry — Lower-Division Courses: CHEM 105L , CHEM 150L , CHEM 201L , CHEM 202L , 250L, CHEM 275  (each) $30.00
Chemistry — Upper-Division Courses: CHEM 351L , CHEM 404L , CHEM 405 , CHEM 416 , CHEM 499  (each) $35.00
College of Education Application Credential Fee $25.00
Computing Services Fee $30.00
Cross-Enrollment Fee $10.00
Dishonored Checks & Credit Cards $20.00
Emergency Loan Late Fee $15.00
Foreign Language Proficiency Test $91.00
General Education, Science GES 102   $20.00
Health Services Augmented Fee $8.00 - $15.00
Health Services Augmented Cancellation Fee $20.00
KINE 200 , KINE 201  (fee per class) $15.00
KINE 305 , KINE 406  (fee per class) $25.00
Kinesiology 300 $30.00
KINE 302 , KINE 326  (fee per class) $35.00
KINE 104   $45.00
Late Graduation Application Fee $15.00
Late Registration Fee $25.00
Media Studies Course Fee: AMD 318 $20.00
Music Course Fee: MUSC 120   $10.00
Music Course Fee: MUSC 304 $20.00
Music Course Fee: MUSC 402   $10.00
Music Course Fee: MUSC 427   $30.00
Nursing TEAS Exam Fee (non-refundable) $65.00
Nursing Program Evaluation Fee $50.00
School of Nursing LVN-BSN Skills Assessment Fee $100.00
Orientation Fee - Family member full day (each, up to 2 guests per student) $45.00
Orientation Fee - Incoming Freshman $95.00
Orientation Fee - Transfer Student $70.00
Orientation Fee - First-Year Student with Overnight $165.00
Parking Fee - Auto per semester $338.00
Parking – Other (www.csusm.edu/parking) Varies
Payment Plan Fee (per semester) $25.00
     Late Payment Plan Fee (per month) (maximum of $45 per semester) $15.00
Photo ID - New/Replacement $5.00
Photo ID - Temporary (ALCI, Open University) $2.00
Physics — Lower-Division Courses: PHYS 201 , PHYS 202 , PHYS 203 , PHYS 205 , PHYS 206  (each) $25.00
Physics — Upper-Division Courses: PHYS 301 , PHYS 402  (each) $30.00
Psychology Course Fee: PSYC 402   $29.00
Printing Course Fee: (VSAR 200 , VSAR 350 ) per class $20.00
Student Laptop Computer Security Repair Fee $30.00
Theatre Arts Courses: TA 305 , TA 489 (each) $20.00
Thesis Binding Fee $25.00
Transcript Waiver Evaluation Fee $25.00
Visiting Artist / Art Professional Fee: AMD 419 $30.00
Visual Arts Course Fee: VSAR 110 , VSAR 130 , VSAR 131 , VSAR 301, VSAR 303 , VSAR 304 , VSAR 305 , VSAR 306 , VSAR 309 , VSAR 406 , VSAR 440  (each) $20.00
Visual and Performing Arts Overdue Equipment Late Fee (per hour) $2.00
Visual and Performing Arts: VPA 380 -13 $20.00
Visual and Performing Arts: VPA 380 -15 $5.00

Note: User fees are subject to change pending approval in accordance with university procedures. Refunds of fees and tuition charges for self-support, special session, and extended education programs or courses at the California State University are governed by a separate policy established by the University, available at: www.csusm.edu/el.


Library Fees

Overdue books (fee per day up to $25 maximum) $1.00
Replacement cost 140.00
Note: Circuit fees apply to students and faculty.  
General Circulation  
Overdue material  
     Late (fee per day) 0.25
     Lost Books/Damaged Materials* 71.71
Interlibrary Loan  
Overdue Books (fee per day up to $25 maximum) 1.00
Lost Books (based on average cost) 71.71
Book strap removal 1.50
Items not picked 5.00
Note: Interlibrary Loan fees apply to students and faculty.  
Media Services  
Overdue Media (fee per day up to $25 maximum) 1.00
Unrewound video/cassette tapes 1.00
Overdue Media Equipment (fee per day, up to replacement cost) 5.00
Lost inserts/booklets from CDs & videos 10.00
Lost Media (minimum of 71.71 up to replacement cost) 71.71
Overdue Materials (fee per loan period, hourly/day/week, $25 maximum) 1.00
Lost reserve items (based on average cost) 71.71

Other Changes or other fee schedules are posted at Check-Out/Circulation & Reserves Desk. * Items with replacement cost over $150 will be charged actual cost.


Student Health Insurance

Starting in January 2014, most people over the age of 18 will be required to have public or private health insurance according to the federal law, The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. This is to provide coverage for health care services outside those provided by SHCS. Individuals who do not have this insurance will be subject to a federal financial penalty. Information about insurance plans may be found on the clinic’s website: http://www.csusm.edu/shcs/generalinfo/healthinsurance.html. All international students are required to have health insurance coverage. International students desiring additional information should contact the Office of Admissions and Recruitment. Please call the clinic for questions.

Refund of Tuition and Mandatory Fees, Including Nonresident Tuition

Regulations governing the refund of tuition and mandatory fees, including nonresident tuition, for students enrolling at the California State University are included in Section 41802 of Title 5, California Code of Regulations. For purposes of the refund policy, mandatory fees are defined as those systemwide and campus fees that are required to be paid in order to enroll in state-supported academic programs at the CSU, available at www.csusm.edu/sfs. Refunds of fees and tuition charges for self-support, special session, and extended education programs or courses at the CSU are governed by a separate policy established by the University, available at www.csusm.edu/el.

In order to receive a full refund of mandatory fees, less an administrative charge established by the campus, including nonresident tuition, a student must cancel registration or drop all courses prior to the first day of instruction for the term. Information on procedures and deadlines for canceling registration and dropping classes is available in the Schedule of Classes.

For state-supported semesters, quarters, and non-standard terms or courses of four (4) weeks or more, a student who withdraws during the term in accordance with the University’s established procedures or drops all courses prior to the campus-designated drop period will receive a refund of tuition and mandatory fees, including nonresident tuition, based on the portion of the term during which the student was enrolled. No student withdrawing after the 60 percent point in the term will be entitled to a refund of any mandatory fees or nonresident tuition.

A student who, within the campus designated drop period and in accordance with campus procedures, drops units resulting in a lower tuition and/or mandatory fee obligation shall be entitled to a refund of applicable tuition and mandatory fees less an administrative charge established by the campus.

For state-supported non-standard terms or courses of less than four (4) weeks, no refunds of tuition and mandatory fees, including nonresident tuition will be made unless a student cancels registration or drops all classes, in accordance with the University’s established procedures and deadlines, prior to the first day of instruction for state-supported non-standard terms or courses or prior to the first meeting for courses of less than four (4) weeks.

University Fee Appeal

The business office, or another office on campus to which the business office may refer the person, will review all pertinent information provided by the person and available to the campus and will advise the person of its conclusions. The Student Appeal Form may be found at: https://www.csusm.edu/sfs/sfsdocs/Fee%20Appeal%20Form.pdf.

Students will also receive a refund of tuition and mandatory fees, including nonresident tuition, under the following circumstances:

  • The tuition and fees were assessed or collected in error;
  • The course for which the tuition and fees were assessed or collected was cancelled by the University;
  • The University makes a delayed decision that the student was not eligible to enroll in the term for which tuition and mandatory fees were assessed and collected and the delayed decision was not due to incomplete or inaccurate information provided by the student; or
  • The student was activated for compulsory military service.
  • Incapacitation due to medical issue.
  • Death of immediate family member.

Students who are not entitled to a refund as described above may petition the University for a refund demonstrating exceptional circumstances and the chief financial officer of the university or designee may authorize a refund if he or she determines that the fees and tuition were not earned by the University.

For information concerning any aspect of the refund of fees, please e-mail sfs@csusm.edu.

Fees and Debts Owed to the Institution

Should a student or former student fail to pay a fee or a debt owed to the institution, including tuition and student charges, the institution may “withhold permission to register, to use facilities for which a fee is authorized to be charged, to receive services, materials, food or merchandise or any combination of the above from any person owing a debt” until the debt is paid (see Title 5, California Code of Regulations, Sections 42380 and 42381). 

Prospective students who register for courses offered by the university are obligated for the payment of charges and fees associated with registration for those courses. Failure to cancel registration in any course for an academic term prior to the first day of the academic term gives rise to an obligation to pay student charges and fees including any tuition for the reservation of space in the course. 

The institution may withhold permission to register or to receive official transcripts of grades or other services offered by the institution from anyone owing fees or another debt to the institution. The institution may also report the debt to a credit bureau, offset the amount due against any future state tax refunds due the student, refer the debt to an outside collection agency, and/or charge the student actual and reasonable collection costs, including reasonable attorney fees if litigation is necessary, in collecting any amount not paid when due.

If a person believes he or she does not owe all or part of an asserted unpaid obligation, that person may contact the Cashier Office in Student Financial Services to submit a University Fee Appeal. The Fee Appeal Committee, after receipt of appeals from the Cashier’s Office or another office on campus to which the Cashier’s Office may refer the person, will review all pertinent information provided by the person and available to the campus and will advise the person of its conclusions.

Procedure for the Establishment or Abolishment of Campus-Based Mandatory Fees

The law governing the California State University provides that specific campus fees defined as mandatory, such as a student association fee and a student center fee, may be established. A student association fee must be established upon a favorable vote of two-thirds of the students voting in an election held for this purpose (Education Code, Section 89300). The campus President may adjust the student association fee only after the fee adjustment has been approved by a majority of students voting in a referendum established for that purpose. The required fee shall be subject to referendum at any time upon the presentation of a petition to the campus President containing the signatures of 10 percent of the regularly enrolled students at the University. Student association fees support a variety of cultural and recreational programs, childcare centers, and special student support programs. A student center fee may be established only after a fee referendum is held which approves, by a two-thirds favorable vote, the establishment of the fee (Education Code, Section 89304). Once bonds are issued, authority to set and adjust student center fees is governed by provisions of the State University Revenue Bond Act of 1947, including, but not limited to, Education Code sections 90012, 90027, and 90068.

The process to establish and adjust other campus-based mandatory fees requires consideration by the campus fee advisory committee and a student referendum as established by Executive Order 1102, Section III. The campus President may use alternate consultation mechanisms if he/she determines that a referendum is not the best mechanism to achieve appropriate and meaningful consultation. Results of the referendum and the fee committee review are advisory to the campus President. The President may adjust campus-based mandatory fees but must request the Chancellor to establish a new mandatory fee. The President shall provide to the fee advisory committee a report of all campus-based mandatory fees. The campus shall report annually to the Chancellor a complete inventory of all campus-based mandatory fees.

For more information or questions, please contact the Budget Office in the CSU Chancellor’s Office at (562) 951-4560.

Financial Aid and Scholarships

The Financial Aid and Scholarships Office administers a variety of financial assistance programs—including grants, scholarships, and loans—to help you meet the costs of your educational goals. Aid is available based on financial need, academic merit, or both. Regardless of your income level, you are encouraged to apply for assistance.

Financial Aid Application Procedures

U.S. Citizens and eligible noncitizens should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.ed.gov  
California Dream Act-eligible students, should complete the Dream Act application online at www.csac.ca.gov/  
Applicants are considered for institutional, state and federal financial aid if the application is received by March 2.  Applications submitted after March 2, may not be considered for all institutional and state aid.  
Both the FAFSA and the Dream Act application can be filed as early as October 1.  Applications are reviewed, and aid is awarded throughout the year, but state and institutional awards are based on available funding. 
Verification is a process in which the Financial Aid Office is required to review the information submitted on the FAFSA or Dream Act Application. 

Additional documents may be requested to confirm the information on the application. All documents must be submitted within 10 days of their request. 

Basic Eligibility Requirements

Federal Student Aid:

  • demonstrate financial need (for most programs)
  • be a U.S. citizen or an eligible noncitizen
  • have a valid Social Security number (with the exception of students from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau)
  • be registered with Selective Service, if you’re a male (you must register between the ages of 18 and 25)
  • be admitted into a degree-seeking program
  • be enrolled at least half-time to be eligible for Direct Loan Program funds
  • maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress 
  • sign the certification statement on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.ed.gov, stating that
    • you are not in default on a federal student loan, and do not owe money on a federal student, and
    • you will use federal student aid only for education purposes
  •  show you are qualified to obtain a college education by
    • having a high school diploma or recognized equivalent such as a General Education Development (GED) certificate;
    • completing a high school education in a homeschool setting approved under state law (or, if state law does not require a homeschooled student to obtain a completion credential, completing a high school education in a homeschool setting that qualifies as an exemption from compulstory attendance requirements under state law)


California Dream Act:

  • Complete the California Dream Act application online at www.csac.ca.gov/ by March 2.
  • Have attended a California high school for 3 years or more.
  • Graduated from a California high school or received a high school equivalent degree (GED).
  • At CSUSM, the AB 540 Affidavit (California Non-Resident Tuition Exemption Request form) must be completed and submitted to the CSUSM Office of Admissions & Student Outreach.
  • Must not hold a valid non-immigrant visa (F, J, H, L, A E, etc.).

Financial Aid Programs

Financial aid programs provide support for students to help meet the costs of obtaining a college education. Funding for financial aid programs is provided by the federal government, state governments, colleges and schools, and a variety of other public and private sources.

There are 2 basic types of financial aid: gift aid and self-help aid. 

Gift Aid includes grants and scholarships that do not need to be repaid. 

Self-Help Aid includes student loans and work-study; these must be repaid or earned. Loans are available for both undergraduate and graduate students, while work-study is available for undergraduate students only.

Federal Grants

Federal Pell Grant

Pell Grants are awarded to eligible Undergraduate and students admitted to post-baccalaureate teacher credential programs and enrolled at least half-time in courses required to obtain an initial teaching credential may be eligible to receive a Federal Pell Grant. Amounts vary based on the student’s enrollment status and the calculated eligibility from the FAFSA. 

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG)

The FSEOG program provides grant assistance for undergraduates who are eligible for a Pell Grant and who demonstrate the greatest financial need.

State Programs

The California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) administers several student financial aid programs designed to assist California students.

Eligibility Requirements

Cal Grants are for students who are pursuing an undergraduate degree, and do not have to be repaid. In addition to meeting the financial eligibility criteria, you must:

  • be a California resident for one year
  • not have a bachelor’s or professional degree
  • have financial need
  • have family income and assets below the minimum levels
  • be enrolled or plan to enroll at least half time
  • not owe a refund on any state or federal grant or be in default on a student loan
  • not be incarcerated
  • maintain the Satisfactory Academic Progress standards. Recipients who do not meet the standards are ineligible for Cal Grant payment and will not use eligibility during the terms they are ineligible for payment.

Cal Grant A Entitlement Awards

Cal Grant A grants provide need-based grant assistance to low- and middle-income students to offset tuition/fee costs for high school graduates with at least a 3.0 grade point average. Recipients must also meet financial requirements. 

Cal Grant B Entitlement Awards

The Cal Grant B program provides need-based grant assistance to high-potential students from low-income, disadvantaged families to help offset tuition/fee and other costs for high school graduates with at least a 2.0 grade point average. Recipients must also meet financial requirements.

Cal Grant Community College Transfer Entitlement Awards

Community college students who do not already have a Cal Grant may be eligible to receive a Cal Grant A or B Transfer Entitlement award if they have at least a 2.4 grade point average when transferring to a baccalaureate degree granting institution. Eligible applicants must meet financial criteria, have graduated from a California high school in 2000-01 or later, and be under the age of 28.

Competitive Cal Grant A & B Awards

A limited number of Cal Grant awards are currently made available each year on a competitive basis for students who do not qualify for one of the entitlement programs.

Middle Class Scholarship

The Middle Class Scholarship (MCS) can be awarded to undergraduate students and students pursuing a teaching credential. To be considered for MCS, students establish an account at WebGrants 4 Students. Students whose families have income and assets up to $171,000 per year may be eligible for a scholarship of no less than 10% and no more than 40% of the mandatory system-wide tuition and fees. MCS scholarships are not set amounts and may vary by student and institution. The award amount is determined after federal, state, and institutional need-based grants are awarded. The final amount will be based on the number of students eligible for the MCS statewide and the funding allocated by the State Budget.

Grant Programs Administered by the California State University

The CSU maintains efforts to ensure educational opportunity for all students. The CSU is committed to redirecting a portion of fee revenue to providing eligible students with need-based grants.

These grant programs are:

State University Grant (SUG)

The State University Grant provides need-based awards to assist in covering the tuition fee for eligible undergraduate, graduate, and post-baccalaureate students who are California residents.

To be considered eligible students must: 

  • apply for financial aid by March 2
  • have an expected family contribution (EFC) within the annual designated range
  • not receive a Cal Grant or other award or benefit designated to cover fees

Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) Grant

Provides assistance to economically and educationally disadvantaged undergraduates. Recipients must be California residents who are admitted to a CSU campus through the Educational Opportunity Program.

Federal Loans

The William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan program offers low-interest federal loans. Loan amounts vary based on your grade level and dependency status. Repayment begins six months after you leave school or your attendance drops below half-time. For annual award amounts and general repayment terms, visit https://www.csusm.edu/finaid/fatypes/programs/index.html 

The Federal Direct PLUS Loan program enables parents to borrow for a dependent student enrolled at least half-time. Parents are eligible to borrow up to the cost of education less other financial aid received by the student. Repayment begins approximately 60 days after disbursement; however there is an option to defer payments while the student meets certain enrollment criteria. Parents interested in applying should visit https://studentloans.gov 


Federal Work-Study Program (FWS)

Provides both on- and off-campus jobs for eligible students through private or public non-profit organizations, local school districts, and other local, state, or federal agencies. A portion of FWS funds are also dedicated to promoting community service on the part of students.

Withdrawals and Financial Aid

If a financial aid recipient withdraws or reduces units, all or a portion of financial aid which was received may need to be repaid. The amount of the required payment will be determined by the date the student officially withdraws.

Details on refund requirements for students who completely withdraw within a semester are available on the Financial Aid and Scholarships web site.

Both federal and state financial aid and any outstanding debts to Cal State San Marcos must be repaid before any refund is given to the student.

Fee Waivers and Exemptions

The California Education Code for the waiver of mandatory systemwide tuition fees as follows:

Section 66025.3 – Dependent eligible to receive assistance under Article 2 of Chapter 4 of Division 4 of the Military and Veterans Code; child of any veteran of the United States military who has a service-connected disability, has been killed in service, or has died of a service-connected disability, and meets specified income provisions; dependent, or surviving spouse who has not remarried; any member of the California National Guard who, in the line of duty, and while in the active service of the state, was killed, died of a disability resulting from an event that occurred while in the active service of the state, or is permanently disabled as a result of an event that occurred while in the active service of the state; and undergraduate student who is a recipient of a Medal of Honor, or undergraduate student who is a child of a recipient of a Medal of Honor who is no more than 27 years old, meets the income restriction and California residency requirement. The waiver of tuition or fees under this section applies only to a person who is determined to be a resident of California pursuant to Chapter 1 (commencing with Section 68000) of Part 41.

Section 66602 – A qualifying student from the California State University who is appointed by the Governor to serve as Trustee of the California State University for the duration of his or her term of office.

Section 68120 – Surviving spouse or child of a deceased California resident who was employed by a public agency, or was a contractor or an employee of a contractor, performing service for a public agency, and was killed in the performance of his/her principal duties of active law enforcement or fire suppression and prevention duties (referred to as Alan Pattee Scholarships). A person who qualifies for the waiver under this section as a surviving child of a contractor or of an employee of a contractor, who performed services for a public agency must have enrolled as an undergraduate student at the California State University and meets income restriction requirement.

Section 68121 – A qualifying student enrolled in an undergraduate program who is the surviving dependent of any individual killed in the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center in New York City, the Pentagon building in Washington, D.C., or the crash of United Airlines Flight 93 in southwestern Pennsylvania, if the student meets the financial need requirements set forth in Section 69432.7 for the Cal Grant A Program and either the surviving dependent or the individual killed in the attacks was a resident of California on September 11, 2001.

Students who may qualify for the above benefits should contact the Admissions/Registrar’s Office for further information and/or an eligibility determination.

The California Education Code provides for the following nonresident tuition exemptions:

Section 68075.7 – A nonresident student is exempt from paying nonresident tuition or any other fee that is exclusively applicable to nonresident students if the student (1) resides in California, (2) meets the definition of “covered individual” as defined in either: (A) Section 3679(c)(2)(A) or (B)(ii)(l) of Title 38 of the United States Code, as that provision read on January, 1, 2017; or (B) Section 3679(c)(2)(B)9(i) or (ii)(II) or Title 38 of the United States Code, as that provision read on January 1, 2017; and (3) is eligible for education benefits under either the federal Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty program or the Post-9/11 GI Bill program as each read on January 1, 2017.

Section 68122 – A student who is a victim of trafficking, domestic violence, and other serious crimes who has been granted T or U visa status shall be exempt from paying nonresident tuition to the same extent as individuals who are admitted to the United States as refugees under Section 1157 of Title 8 of the United States Code.

Section 68130.5 – A student, other than a nonimmigrant alien, who is not a resident of California is exempt from paying nonresident tuition if the student meets the requirements of (1) through (4), below:

  1. Satisfaction of the requirements of either subparagraph a or subparagraph b:

      a.   A total attendance of, or attainment of credits earned while in California equivalent to, three or more years of full-time attendance or attainment of credits at any of the following:

i. California high schools.

ii. California high schools established by the State Board of Education.

iii.  California adult schools established by a county office of education, a unified school district or high school district, or the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (subject to the class hours’ requirement).
iv.  Campuses of the California Community Colleges (subject to the credit requirements).

v.   A combination of those schools set forth in clauses (i) to (iv), inclusive.

b.  Three or more years of full-time high school coursework, and a total of three or more years of attendance in California elementary schools, California secondary schools, or a combination of California elementary and secondary schools.

2. Satisfaction of any of the following:

a.    Graduation from a California high school or attainment of the equivalent thereof.
b.    Attainment of an associate degree from a campus of the California Community Colleges.
c.    Fulfillment of the minimum transfer requirements established for the California State University for students transferring from a campus of the California Community Colleges.

3. Registration as an entering student at, or current enrollment at, an accredited institution of higher education in California not earlier than the Fall semester or quarter of the 2001–02 academic year.

4. In the case of a person without lawful immigration status, the filing of an affidavit with the institution of higher education stating that the student has filed an application to legalize his or her immigration status, or will file an application as soon as he or she is eligible to do so.



Financial Aid and Scholarships Office

Due to the generosity of local donors, corporations, and foundations, CSUSM offers more than 100 scholarships to qualified students.  These donors recognize that scholarships help provide a financial pathway to a college education, and are passionate about helping students succeed.  In the 2017-18 school year, more than $900,000 was given to students from private, philanthropic support.

The CSUSM General Scholarship Application serves as one application for the various scholarship opportunities administered by CSUSM. Applicants should also complete the FAFSA each year as most scholarships also consider financial need in the awarding criteria. Students who apply for the General Scholarship will automatically be considered for the variety of scholarships at CSUSM.

Application Period: (January 1st – March 2nd)

In addition to our CSUSM General Scholarship Application, students may also apply for external scholarships offered by other community members.