Program of Study
Our selective program provides a robust educational foundation in basic science prerequisites necessary for competitive admission to MD/DO, PA, Pharmacy, Dental and Veterinary Professional programs. Successful applicants to this two-year program will acquire and strengthen necessary scientific background prior to admission to a health professional school.
The certificate program is reserved exclusively for post-baccalaureate students. This program has a cohort structure, with each cohort consisting of 24-48 students. Students may begin the certificate program only during the Fall semester of an academic year.
A Program Director provides information to prospective applicants and will advise applicants and students regarding strategies and paths to health careers.
Additional opportunities include:
- Health Profession-related seminars
- Information and volunteer opportunities in the health field.
- One-on-one advising and on-going academic support.
- Eligibility to register with the CSUSM University Pre-Health Club and Women in STEM Student Group.
- Workshops and seminars on how to prepare for, apply to, and interview for professional school.
Some health professional schools or standardized exams require knowledge of additional topics such as Psychology or Sociology. The Program Director will assist the student in identifying any additional courses that may be needed, which students can then take through Extended Learning* or elsewhere on a space-available basis.
*The Pre-Health Professions Certificate is offered through Extended Learning.