CSUSM recognizes the contributions and vital role of and community-based Indigenous knowledge and peoples inherent in the following statement:
We acknowledge that the land on which we gather is the traditional territory of the Luiseño/Payómkawichum people. Today, the meeting place of CSUSM and its surrounding areas is still home to the six federally recognized bands of the La Jolla, Pala, Pauma, Pechanga, Rincon, Soboba Luiseño/Payómkawichum people. We recognize the vital role of tribal and community-based Indigenous knowledge and peoples and acknowledge that this land remains the shared space among the Kuupangaxwichem/Cupeño and Kumeyaay and Ipai peoples.
California State University San Marcos is an academic community dedicated to the values of:
Culture of Care
Stewardship of Resources
Sustainability and Climate Justice
At California State University San Marcos, our mission is student success. As an engine of transformative knowledge, our community of dedicated teacher-scholars and staff holistically advance the academic, social, professional and personal development of students across the student life cycle, through education, innovation and community partnerships.
California State University San Marcos will be a national leader of social mobility, transforming lives, families and communities. As the first-choice university for first-generation students and future generations, we will drive intellectual engagement, innovation and sustainability for a diverse, global society. Our exemplary academic programs will respond to societal needs and prepare students to be tomorrow’s socially just leaders and change makers.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusive Excellence
We commit to every student - especially those who are from historically underserved communities - that they are welcome here, belong here, and will succeed here in this rigorous and challenging academic environment. As an actively anti-racist institution, we dismantle systemic barriers in ways that nurture the well-being of all members of our campus community.
- Recruit and retain a diverse community of teacher-scholars, staff, counselors, coaches, volunteers and administrators who will serve as role models for our diverse student body and have a commitment to the academic success of our students.
- Recruit and retain a diverse community of students that includes our local and global communities.
- Address the diverse needs of our students by providing tailored support services, technology for equitable instructional access and opportunities, resources and inclusive curriculum that meet and celebrate them where they are.
- Promote a learning and working environment where all members of the campus community can thrive and feel heard, respected and valued.
- Commit individually and collectively to shared values of institutional equity, social justice, inclusion and care.
- Institutionalize and highlight supportive initiatives for underserved and historically excluded student populations that lead to educational access, graduation and lifelong success.
- Apply the power of our diversity to create unique solutions and innovations, while engaging the campus and community in creating a more inclusive and environmentally sustainable future.
- Support socially just and environmentally sound practices that meet the needs of current and future generations.