Program of Study
Geographic Information Systems (GIS) allow users to map and analyze spatial data in a whole range of fields including city planning, environmental management, fire services, and marketing. However, the field for Geographic Information Science is rapidly evolving with the development of advanced cyber infrastructure, big data and the internet of things, among others. This certificate provides professionals, students and job-seekers with advanced training required to navigate this changing field and effectively apply GIS to real-world situations.
Students in the program learn to effectively convey the value of geospatial data to stakeholders in diverse contexts as well as its proper uses and applications. The program covers:
- advanced geospatial techniques including spatial statistics, pattern analysis, spatial interaction, and raster and vector data models;
- remote sensing and applications including data capture, image processing and data analysis;
- programming including R, Python and WebGIS and;
- cartography and geovisualization, including cartographic principles, design, thematic mapping and nontraditional map display methods, and interpretation and analysis.
The certificate is based on standards contained in the Association of American Geographers’ Geographic Information Science and Technology Body of Knowledge and in the Urban and Regional Information Systems Association’s Geospatial Management Competency Model. The program also serves as solid preparation for a number of ESRI ArcGIS Desktop Certification exams.
Eligibility for this program requires sufficient competency in GIS as evidenced by:
- lower-division undergraduate GIS coursework OR experience.
*The Certificate of GIS is offered through Extended Learning.
Total (12 Units)
On advisement, and with prior consultation, the certificate may be tailored to accommodate diverse organizational training needs through the use of additional coursework such as GEOG 435 , which provides applied experience in GIS.