Oct 23, 2019  
2018-19 CATALOG 

Frequently Asked Questions

Return to: Extended Learning Programs  

Is the Catalog information current?

You are encouraged to visit the Cal State San Marcos Extended Learning Website at csusm.edu/el, or call 760-750-4004, for the most current information.

How do I register for Non-Credit Courses?

There are five (5) easy ways to register for NON-CREDIT classes:

  1. By Phone: 760-750-4004 or 800-500-9377
  2. By Fax: 760-750-3138
  3. Online Secure Registration: Visit csusm.edu/el, find a course and click “Register Now”
  4. By Mail: Cal State San Marcos, Extended Learning, 333 S. Twin Oaks Valley Rd., San Marcos, CA 92096
  5. In Person: 333 S. Twin Oaks Valley Rd., Foundation Classroom Building (FCB), Room 5-107, San Marcos

How do I register for Credit Courses?

To register for CREDIT classes including Open University, academic credit, Special Session classes, or degree programs, please follow the specific registration procedures outlined on our site.

If you have a hold on your account, we will not be able to register you until the hold is resolved. To clear your hold please contact the Cashier’s Office at 760-750-4491.

When and how can I pay for a class?

Fees for non-credit classes are due at the time of registration. We accept MasterCard, Visa, Discover Card, American Express, check, and company purchase orders. Please visit us online to read our policy on declined credit cards and dishonored checks. Rejected e-checks are subject to a $4.50 fee. You may also pay with check or money order, in person at Extended Learning (Monday through Friday only), or mail a check or money order made payable to Cal State San Marcos Extended Learning. No credit card payments can be accepted by mail. For online registration, Extended Learning accepts MasterCard, Discover Card, Visa, American Express and e-check payments securely. Cal State San Marcos Alumni Members receive a 15 percent savings on most non-credit programs.

    Please note that effective July 2016, all Extended Learning credit card transactions will be charged a convenience fee of 2.75%. The convenience fee is subject to change.  

What are the cancellation, drop, transfer refund policies?


For all non-credit classes, cancellation notification must be made in writing. Written notice may be made by email to el.inquiry@csusm.edu, faxed to 760-750-3138, or mailed with postmark date three days before the first day of class to receive a full refund (less a $20 administrative fee and the 2.75% convenience fee).

No refunds will be issued once a class has started. No refunds will be issued for online classes, once online materials have been accessed. “NO SHOWS” ARE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR PAYMENT IN FULL.

One non-refundable transfer or substitution is allowed instead of receiving a refund. This transfer/substitution must be used within the same fiscal year (July 1 – June 30), and all transfers must be requested and completed prior to the second session in a  multi-session course. No credits will be issued; refund or transfer must be made at time of cancellation.

Refunds may take four to six weeks to reach students who have withdrawn.


There are no refunds for contract credit classes.


The Extended Learning refund policy does not necessarily coincide with the University add/drop period.

You can drop your courses any time via the MyCSUSM student portal at csusm.edu/mycsusm. You will need your student ID and password. If you do not know your student ID and/or password, you may contact the Student Help Desk at 760-750-6505.

Refunds are granted as detailed on the table on the following page. Students who withdraw before the specified date outlined on this table, will receive a full refund. Students who withdraw after the specified date will receive no refund.

Refunds may take four to six weeks to reach students who have withdrawn. To check on the progress of your refund go to your MyCSUSM portal account.

After the refund deadline has passed take a completed University Regulations Waiver form to the Cashiers in Cougar Central.

Withdrawal after the cutoff date for refunds:

Stopping attendance in classes and/or informing the instructor or a CSUSM staff member about plans to withdraw does NOT constitute formal withdrawal from any CSUSM course. Students who do not formally withdraw remain liable for any outstanding payments and academic performance requirements until a formal withdrawal is made. It is important to formally withdraw from any course you are leaving to avoid academic penalty.

Classes 16 weeks or more Refund
Up to 11:59 pm of the 14th day of the session 100%
After the 14th day of the session 0%
Classes 15 weeks or less Refund
Up to 11:59 pm of the 7th day of the session 100%
After the 7th day of the session 0%

For information on Withdrawals, visit: http://www.csusm.edu/enroll/newpolicieseffectivefall2009/withdrawal.html.

Effects of Withdrawal on Financial Aid:

Students who withdraw after receiving Financial Aid payments may be required to repay/return the Financial Aid disbursed. Units from which a student withdraws are included in the count of “attempted units” when determining “max units attempted” for the purposes of measuring Satisfactory Academic Progress. Failure to achieve the appropriate level of Academic Progress can also result in a Financial Aid penalty. For information, visit csusm.edu/finaid/ OR contact the CSUSM Financial Aid Office at 760-750-4850.

How do I request a 1098T?

Credit classes - students requesting 1098Ts, please contact Rosemary Henk at rhenk@csusm.edu or visit the campus website at csusm.edu/sfs/Tax%20Information.html for more information. Non-credit classes - 1098Ts are not issued. Please check with your tax advisor or visit the campus website csusm.edu/sfs/Tax%20Information.html which will also refer you to the IRS website about Lifetime Learning Credit and the American Opportunity Credit (Hope Credit).

Can I register if I have a hold on my account?

If you have a hold on your account, we will not be able to register you until the hold is resolved. To clear your hold, please contact the Cashier’s Office at 760-750-4491.

What are my options for Financial Aid?

Extended Learning does not sanction any one lender; however, there are a multitude of private lenders that will fund programs for Extended Learning (non-matriculated) students. If you are a student who is matriculated (formally accepted to the campus) in an Extended Learning degree program and need additional information about Financial Aid options, please contact the Financial Aid Office at 760-750-4850 or go to csusm.edu/finaid.


Noncredit courses are not eligible for financial aid. However, several of our noncredit programs are approved for federal funding via the Federal Workforce Innovation & Opportunities Act (WIOA) and for the MyCAA military spouse scholarship. For additional information about WIOA,visit www.caljobs.ca.gov. For MyCAA: https://aiportal.acc.af.mil/mycaa.

How do I request a transcript?

To request an official transcript (no fee required) for credit programs, please see: http://www.csusm.edu/enroll/allforms/TranscriptRequest.pdf. For non-credit programs, you may request a non-credit transcript through Extended Learning by calling 760-750-4004.

Where are classes held?

Most classes are held on the CSUSM Campus unless noted otherwise in the course description. Driving directions and maps are available online. If your class is being held at an off-campus location, please call Extended Learning at 760-750-4004 for directions.

Where do I park?

Parking permits are required to park on campus. There is no grace period. For credit courses and programs, new and continuing students must purchase semester parking permits online, at Parking and Commuter Services located at the Public Safety Building, located at the corner of La Moree and Campus View Dr., or at the University Cashier, located on the third floor of Craven Hall. To inquire about current parking information and policies please visit the Parking and Commuter Services Website at csusm.edu/parking or call 760-750-7500.

For non-credit classes, parking fees are included for most Extended Learning programs and more detailed information pertaining to your specific course will be emailed to you the week before the class start date. If your class does not include a parking permit it will be noted in the online course description or class schedule. If you do not see information regarding parking in the course description please contact our office at least 3 days prior to the course start date. If you are registering for a class within 24 hours of the class start date, we apologize that we are unable to guarantee paid parking. Please call the Extended Learning Office for confirmation Monday - Friday 8 am - 5 pm 760-750-4004.

For Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) Members, parking permits for classes at the CSUSM Campus will be available at a discounted rate, and you will receive a parking pass in the mail the week before class begins. For courses off campus, all parking is free. Maps and directions for all locations are available on the Osher Website at csusm.edu/el/olli or in the Osher catalog.

Can I access the Career Center or Library?

The Career Center on campus offers a number of career related services. To learn more about the services offered contact 760-750-4900. You can also access the CSUSM Library by purchasing a Readers Circle Card. For more information on the Readers Circle Card contact the Library at 760-750-4348.

Are you a State-approved provider of the Federal Workforce Investment and Opportunity Act (WIOA)?

Yes. For additional information about WIOA, visit the San Diego Workforce Partnership Website at workforce.org.

Do you offer customized training?

Absolutely! Customized training to meet a company’s specific educational and employee training needs is always available. We can even bring the courses or programs onsite if you prefer. Choose from any of our regular programs or let us work with you to design a customized program aligned with your business goals.

How can I learn more about your support services for disabled students?

Support services are available to assist students with special needs in the academic setting. Students with mobility limitations, psychological or learning disabilities, and/or hearing or visual impairments are encouraged to contact Disabled Student Services as soon as possible to arrange for these services. For additional information call 760-750-4905 or TDD-750-4909.

What is your non-discrimination policy?

The University subscribes to all Equal Opportunity, Title IX, Title VI, Title VII and Section 504 regulations and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, disability, sexual orientation, age, marital, or veteran status in accordance with applicable Federal and State law and University policy.

Who can I contact if I am interested in teaching for Extended Learning?

Extended Learning is always looking for new courses and instructors to keep our programs fresh and competitive. If you are an expert in your area and would like to find out more information on teaching opportunities, please contact the Extended Learning office at 760-750-4004.

How do I find out about other official notices and policies?

Please refer to the California State University San Marcos General Catalog for pertinent policies, regulations and other information. Although every effort has been made to assure the accuracy of the information in this catalog and in the CSUSM General Catalog, students and others who use this catalog should note that laws, rules, and policies change from time to time and that these changes may alter the information contained in this publication. Changes may come in the form of statutes enacted by the Legislature, rules and policies adopted by the Board of Trustees of the California State University, by the Chancellor or designee of the California State University, or by the President or designee of the campus. It is not possible in a publication of this size to include all of the rules, policies and other information that pertain to students, the institution, and the California State University.